What are some simple things I can do to stay safe online?
Basic cybersecurity doesn’t have to take a great deal of effort. Here are 10 simple tips that will go a long way to protecting you online.
Protect Your Systems:
- Use anti-virus software.
- Protect home networks with firewalls.
- Password-protect your wireless router and network.
- Disconnect from the Internet when not in use.
- Back-up your computer regularly.
- Restrict access to your computer and accounts; sharing has risks.
- Delete email from unknown sources.
- Use hard-to-guess passwords and keep them private.
- Don't provide personal information like Social Security Numbers, credit cards numbers, etc. with non-secure and unfamiliar web sites.
Protect Your Family:
- Help your family check computer security on a regular basis.